I'm a freelance data scientist and researcher, specialising in data for, by and about charities and wider civil society. I have over ten years experience working with charity data, having worked for NCVO, CAST and the Greater London Authority.
How I can help you
Data analysis and visualisation
I'm an experienced data analyst, turning messy raw data into actionable intelligence that answers the questions you are asking. The answers you will get will be clear, concise and produced to high visual standards to help you get your message across.
- I've presented data on the voluntary sector and grants in Kingston
- I produced data to help Bond analyse the performance of their members
- I helped the Young Foundation analyse the distribution of philanthropy around the country
Data cleaning and linking
I can help turn your messy spreadsheets into perfectly formed clean data, linked to other relevant data to help get the most out of your data. This is not just about one-off cleaning, but building the processes and tools to automate data cleaning and make sure you get clean data all the time.
- I maintain a site to help people use charity data - findthatcharity
- I've written a guide to using findthatcharity and OpenRefine to link charity data with their own data
Building data tools
Data is most powerful when it's combined with tools that help collect, use, analyse and explore it. I can help you build tools using the latest web technologies to do all these, whether it's extracting data from paper forms, combining big datasets into one or designing front ends for users to explore the data.
- I created an insights tool for 360 Giving allowing people to visualise their data.
- I built NGO Explorer with the Universities of Sheffield and Manchester to help explore and connect UK charities that operate overseas.
- I presented to the data 4 good conference in Birmingham on text analysis for charities
Open data and open standards
I'm passionate about the difference that open data can make for charities. I can help you use and publish open data, making the most out of this valuable resource whilst avoiding the pitfalls. I can also help you use data standards to ensure that your data is compatible with other datasets, so you can get the full benefits.
- My report on charity regulator transparency shows how charity regulators around the world use data to help their activities.
- My blog for 360 Giving has some ideas for making the Charity Commission's data better.
- I'm a member of the 360 Giving Standard Stewardship Committee
Hire me - get in touch
Phone: (+44) 7759 511172